5/29/11

Lean on Me

Well, there is tons to report on from this past week, and I'm really excited about all the work we've been able to do lately! Since there is so much, I'll just share some highlights! Yesterday, was probably the best day I've had in Fiji, as far as projects go. Vive, from Friend Fiji, asked if I would teach a music class to the youth group in the Vakabuli village. Um, hello! I was so excited and told her of course I would do it. So, yesterday was the first class we had. It took about 2 hours from Ba to get to their village, but luckily my bus pulled up right in time! We held the class in their main hut, and about 20 people showed up! I was only expecting 5, so that was a lovely surprise! I wanted them to be really involved in the class, so we started out with introductions. Then, we talked about why we listen to music and how we can use music as an outlet for our emotions. I then had them brainstorm emotions they feel every day, and had them write their own song! I was nervous with how it would go because writing a song isn't an easy thing, but they wrote an entire song, and then performed it for me! They had to translate it for me, since I told them they could write it in Fijian. It was about a couple who separated, and the heartbreak they went through. After that, I taught them “Lean on Me”. I had written the lyrics on a big poster that I put up in the hut for them to practice with. We assigned solos throughout the song, and added different dynamics and elements to make it more interesting. They all have the most beautiful voices! To end the class for that day, I gave them some homework assignments for that next week. I asked them to keep working on “Lean on Me”, and the song they wrote, as well as come prepared next time with more songs to perform for the talent show I want to hold in their village! That is my end goal for this music class. I want them to feel as though they have something special inside of them, and help them feel comfortable sharing those talents with their entire village! I'm hoping to have the talent show the day before I leave to go home. When the class was over, they pulled out their hymn book, sat in a circle, and sang for me! After about 4 songs, they asked me to sing. I asked them what they wanted and they said, “Justin Bieber.” So, I sang “Baby” for them. I felt ridiculous at first, but then they all started clapping and smiling, so I just went with it! I can now say I got to use my love of Justin Bieber for the pleasure of others here in Fij!

Today, was also a super great day! Me, and 2 other girls in my group, have been working with the prison here in Ba, and are starting our lessons on Monday! The prison guards invited us last week to come support them in their Yellow Ribbon March that would be held today. So we did! The yellow ribbon march is basically a huge gathering in the town to create community awareness for the yellow ribbon project that is now starting up in Fiji! I think this program is amazing! They took the idea from a song that was popular back in the 70's called “Tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree.” Basically, it's the idea that ex-inmates need support and encouragement from their families and their communities, so that they become a productive member of society when they get out of prison. The song was about a prisoner, who wrote a letter to his wife, asking her to tie a yellow ribbon on their tree in their yard so that when he was discharged, he would know if she accepted him. When he showed up, there wasn't just one ribbon, but thousands. So, the march today was really great! Everyone in Ba (and some that came from Suva) got together to take part in this program today. It reminded me of the SummerFest back home, just without the carnival part. It just had a very good feeling of coming together as a community for one main purpose. The chief started it out by welcoming everyone, and then there were some testimonials from ex-inmates who are now leading companies, and being very productive in their every day lives. The police had formed a marching band, and they performed a few times. Towards the end, after about 2 ½ hours, the inmates from the Ba prison (the ones we will be teaching) performed a traditional Fijian dance! It was quite the sight! We were all on the front row of this huge field where they were holding this march. When their performance was over, the band started playing some dance music, and before I know it, I was being pulled onto the field by one of the guys who had just performed! I was like, “okay! I have no idea where I'm going, but alright!” So, he pulls me out, as the WHOLE crowd cheers, and he tells me that we are dancing! We start dancing (and it's definitely unlike any other dancing I've ever seen!) and then more guys come, and we formed this line and did a dance! I had no idea what I was doing, but I do love to dance, so that was all the motivation I needed!  Since I was the only white person (except for a couple other girls from my group who eventually got pulled out onto the field) I was definitely not hard to spot. The audience was cheering me on, laughing, and probably hoping I'd fall in love with my dance partner and take him home to America with me! Haha, it was so much fun though. It's weird to imagine having this sort of experience with the local inmates, because we would never have anything like this back home, but it works for them here. There is such a high level of respect for the guards and mentors from the prisoners, that it's easy for them all to have mutual trust with one another. It's definitely an eye-opening experience for me, and I'm just really excited to go teach on Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Love, Love, Love! You are getting to experience every aspect of Fiji! I'm so so happy for you! I hope you recorded your students singing to you! You are seizing every opportunity to make the most of your time and talent in Fiji, and I absolutely love it. Thank You for sharing the journey with us. Hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete