6/13/11

Staying Busy with work in Fiji!

This past Thursday, me and 2 other volunteers went to a primary (elementary) school in our area to plant gardens! We didn't really know what to expect when we got there, but it was such an eye-opening experience. The head master of the school is an Indian man in his late thirties, and there are 3 others that are the teachers. There are 68 students total, and this school is said to be one of the poorest schools in this area. We were told that the students are so poor, that they don't have any food to eat in their villages, so the teachers, out of their own pocket sometimes, will bring food and make them lunch every single day. They also will go and pick up the children if they aren't at school. They said a big reason they don't come regularly is because they don't have any clothes to wear. It broke my heart to hear all of this, and then when we finally met the children, I just wanted to hug every single one of them!

There was a pretty even mix of Fijian and Indo-Fijian students. They took turns in their age groups, coming out to help us plant a tomato garden for their school. They were all so happy! While we were digging and planting, they were singing and laughing. It was so cute. When we were all done planting the garden and having lunch, we went outside, sat in a circle on the grass, and sang songs together! They taught us some new Fijian songs, and I think they were impressed when they heard us sing one of their songs to them. We have learned a few Fijian songs in different villages. It was such a great day! It was bittersweet though because I was so happy to be with them and help them, but it killed me to know their circumstances. I have a good idea for a project I can do when I get home to help this school, and I'm really excited to continue this journey back in the states.

1 comment:

  1. Lex, I would love to help you with this project if there is any way I can from outside of your state. Keep me posted. This story melted my heart.

    ReplyDelete